Sunday, February 23, 2014

On the Road Again.

Over the past many months I've had to confine my walking to parks and such.  I have missed taking my neighborhood sojourns, mainly because no matter how lovely Blount Cultural Park might be, or how "fast" I can move on the flat track at Ida Belle Young Park, or how much I enjoy seeing the regulars at Vaughn Road Park, or how fun it has been to discover a new place -- AUM's outdoor walking track -- there's something about the chosen unpredictability of just shutting my back door and going that I've been craving again.

So, don't anybody tell my husband, whose worries about my safety had put the kibosh on my "free range" walks, but the last two days I walked in the neighborhood again. The most exciting find was a new home under construction, which probably hasn't happened in this neighborhood for 20+ years.

I am always on the lookout for the little things, though, and this morning's walk did not disappoint.



As I walked by this, the memory of "OOOOH no, Mr. Bill" played in my head. Closer inspection showed, of course, that this alarmed whatever-it-was was not that character, but they surely studied under the same acting coach. 

Just a few steps away there was this:


Wait... Was there supposed to be a real squirrel standing right here and he forgot where his mark was? Is this proof that animals in nature don't act as randomly as we might suppose? Do they need a script? And what does that mean about us? Are we just puppets on this same stage?

Of course, it's possible that this dropped off some kid's school project, but that doesn't make for very interesting philosophical questions for the next couple miles or so.

Anyway, I told somebody once that this blog was about nothing, and I think it's time I start proving that again.

How'm I doin'?


No comments:

Post a Comment