Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Another one in the books....

On April 20, 1958 I was born. I was quite surprised by this at the time, but apparently other people were expecting me.

Mama and me, I'm guessing summer of 1959.

My mother, for instance. I think she probably had an inkling.

My Grandpappy, Tom McCord, holding on for dear life.

That's another one who probably had a hunch.  Everything I learned about doting on grandchildren I learned from him. If I create half the impression on my granddaughter's heart that he did on mine for the few years I had him, I will be able to call myself a success.

I'm pretty sure I know a man who's already done that with her, by the way.

Scene stealers, the both of 'em.

Anyway.....   since this was not a speed limit birthday, it's been pretty low-key, exactly the way I've grown to love them. I have enjoyed reading all the greetings left for me on Facebook (and am making it a particular point of pride to respond to each of them, not that I'm OCD or anything.) because I figure if somebody takes the time, so will I.  

I love birthday cards, which I think may be because of the woman in the middle here.

From left to right: Grandmama Eleanor, Aunt Eleanor,
and Grandmama Eleanor (2nd generation)

My Aunt Eleanor was an amazing woman, and for years and years she sent all her gazillion nieces and nephews birthday cards with $1 bills in them. Even when I became a too-cool-for-the-room teenager and a dollar wouldn't buy much of anything anymore, I still looked forward to that card with unchecked anticipation. There came a time when this stopped, of course. Aunt Eleanor just realized we'd all pretty much grown out of it, and she was right.

Mostly.

But to this day, when I get birthday cards I still shake 'em a little as I open them.

These came from my "sweet" husband.

I didn't shake those, though. They did make me laugh, however, which is exactly what I like a card to do. I am not one for the big sentimental stuff. If you're going to go all sweet on me, I'd rather you didn't hire somebody to be your writer. 

Of course, if you're going to hand me a card with a $1 bill in it, you can be as sappy as you like.

My day is getting ready to end. I have to rush off to church to take Board minutes, then home to eat some supper. Whatever my husband comes up with for us to have, we're opening one of these.....

Manna from Oregon

... and enjoying some sunshine after dark.

You are my sunshine... my only sunshine....
You make me happy when skies are gray.

Amen.





4 comments:

  1. "You Are My Sunshine
    My only sunshine.
    You make me happy
    When skies are grey.
    You'll never know, dear,
    How much I love you.
    Please don't take my sunshine away"

    EVER
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! So glad you had a happy day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, am coming to the end of this day. I enjoyed your and Thomas' birthdays. I never saw so many greetings. This anonymous loves you and it's fun to watch your babies grow up to be Grannys. I must be one of the luckiest A. Nonny Mooses in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to you my sweet friend. Hope it was full of sunshine and smiles.

    ReplyDelete