Saturday, September 11, 2010

How I'll Do It



Here's how I have, and how I will, observe this
day of grim remembrance.

I awoke at 6:00, thanked my Creator for the gift of another morning. 

I did not turn on a television.  I have not done so in the mornings since that day.  It wasn't really intentional, I just never have again.

I had coffee, checked my e-mail, checked Facebook, checked Twitter, checked the Weight Watchers thread from last night to see what went on while we enjoyed an evening out.

I put on my walking clothes and headed out.  Along the way I remembered waking up on the morning of September 12, 2001 and finding every yard in our neighborhood had a flag planted in it by some unknown benefactor.  The only family who removed theirs lives next door to us, and it was because they are Jehovah's Witnesses.  I honor their exercise of their beliefs, even though I don't understand them.  They are good people, the Stephens family.

As I walked along I reflected on how quiet the skies were for so long.  We live in a flight path for both the airport and for the Air Force Base here, and we are so used to the sounds and sights of airplanes overhead we hardly noticed them before.  

The silence, when they were grounded, was profound.

And I remember jumping out of my skin when I heard the first Air Force jet pass overhead again, probably a week or more later.

I remembered going in to work that morning, and seeing the look of disbelief on the face of my sister-in-law that mirrored my own.  We had customers, but I don't recollect that we sold a thing.  I also don't recollect that we cared.  It was about being a community that day, not about commerce. 

I remember how many folks just showed up out of the blue at our church, and other houses of worship across the city, because we needed to be somewhere to put our fear, and anger, and grief.  

Later today I'll be babysitting our Rosemary, doing some laundry, typing up some final drafts, preparing a meal, and settling in to watch my favorite football team take on a well-respected rival,  wanting to win, but knowing that if we don't the world won't stop turning.

And that is how will I honor the victims of September 11, 2001.  

I will live this day.


No comments:

Post a Comment